Wednesday, May 20, 2009

name that song!...a curiosity of christian radio

"There's always going to be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose,
Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb"

so, have you heard this song yet? i was half-listening to the radio one saturday night and the uniqueness of the singer's voice along with the song's great message pulled me in. i waiting when it finished for the dj to announce the title and the singer's identity but he didn't.

zooming ahead a week, while on the way to houston and stopping at sonic for breakfast, i heard it again! the "sonic radio" dj enthusiastically announced that the song was "the climb" by miley cyrus.

miley cyrus??? as in a.k.a. hannah montana??? no way!
now, don't get me wrong, i have nothing against the girl other than slight annoyance of seeing her face grinning at me everywhere from little girl's t-shirts to comforter sets at wal-mart.

but i find it interesting how that even though she professes christianity, christian radio won't say who is singing the song, i assume, because she isn't recognized as a "christian artist". i've heard the song played again and the only thing they'll say is that it's "the climb".

this isn't a new thing. i'm always amused during 4th of july when they play that soul-stirring version of "the star spangled banner" but never mention that it's being sung by (horrors! a canadian!) celine dion.

or during xmas when they throw in a mariah carey song and won't say who's singing BUT natalie grant sings a song off of the mariah album in practically the same way (it's almost like musical plagiarism!) and it's ok to say her name.

does it matter that they aren't "christian artists"? does it matter if they don't even profess christianity but the christian station plays their song because it's a good song? should it matter?

i don't know and that's why i'd love to hear what you think.

1 comments:

Cherylg said...

Heeelllooo over there!!! Well I don't know what to think.

I do know that someone in the world mentionsd to me one time that the Christian station that I listen to is copying worldy stations stuff.

So What do I think?

I do know that we are to be seperate from the world.

I do know that we are to listen to edifying stuff (of Good report).

I do know that we are to promote our beliefs.

How do these stations get this music? Where are these DJ's minds at? What do they believe? Do they uphold the faith? How can they affect our spiritual walk? Can they cause those week in the faith to listen to worldly peoples music because they wrote SOME good christian based songs???

Myself, I don't know what to think!!! Maybe we need to seek God re this, since HE has all the answers.

cg :I