it feels like it has been quite a while since i have blogged! consequently, this one might be a little long.
.....
so, i have family from out of town staying at my house! very weird since the number of people in my house has quadrupled!
i love love LOVE to visit or have family visit since for me, everyone is so spread out! i have lot of family in the carribean and new york, one sibling living near the rocky mountains while the other living on the east coast. crazy, i tell you! so i'm the baby of the family but i've lived most of my childhood as an only child. it has always been difficult for me to not have family living at a close proximity.
so it's fun to be together but it's also hard since they aren't churchgoing people. part of me smiles while the other side cries since they do not understand that the road they are currently on will eventually lead them to destruction.
.....
hmmm.... how do i begin this lil topic? i probably don't need to be writing this but at the moment, i honestly don't care. it's my blog, i feel like venting so, ha!
well. first let me explain. my young adult group at church is interesting. my church is a relatively young church (as in, how long it has been around) and we have a pretty good sized young adult group.... we who are in our early to mid twenties. the majority of us have grown up together since late elementary school/middle school.
none of us are married.
the sentence above is a very big deal to some people. i mean, i admit that compared to many churches, we are a Definite rarity. i'll agree with that.
*sigh* but many well meaning and slightly misguided married people annoy me. yes, i said it. they annoy me. in fact, they irritate me.
greatly.
~ they're the ones who hound you after you come home from a conference to find out if you met any one.
so like, wasn't i supposed to go to get great preaching and have fun with friends?
~ they are the ones who seem to always find a way to work marriage into conversations and extol on how wonderful my life would be, were i married.
it's very apparent to me that marriage is NOT ALWAYS a walk in the park.
~ they are the ones who love to remind me of the fact that i am not getting any younger.
um, gee. thanks. i think.
~ they are the ones who say, "You need to get married!"
ok, i'll park here because this one is almost laughable. so basically, you want me to pick any old Joe at a conference or in my church and say, "hey. MARRY ME!" seriously? ok, last time i checked, marriage is forever. since i would rather not be miserable for the rest of my life, wouldn't it only make sense to not throw myself at Random Joe since i won't be able to divorce him?!
and believe me folks, i'm not exactly being proposed to left and right! am i not supposed to wait on the Lord? what about Philippians 4:6 "be careful for nothing" which translates to: "be anxious for nothing" or "don't worry about anything"? the Bible tells me to wait and not worry.... why do these people who should know better say things as though they wish to provoke me to worry?
.....
so, i have family from out of town staying at my house! very weird since the number of people in my house has quadrupled!
i love love LOVE to visit or have family visit since for me, everyone is so spread out! i have lot of family in the carribean and new york, one sibling living near the rocky mountains while the other living on the east coast. crazy, i tell you! so i'm the baby of the family but i've lived most of my childhood as an only child. it has always been difficult for me to not have family living at a close proximity.
so it's fun to be together but it's also hard since they aren't churchgoing people. part of me smiles while the other side cries since they do not understand that the road they are currently on will eventually lead them to destruction.
.....
hmmm.... how do i begin this lil topic? i probably don't need to be writing this but at the moment, i honestly don't care. it's my blog, i feel like venting so, ha!
well. first let me explain. my young adult group at church is interesting. my church is a relatively young church (as in, how long it has been around) and we have a pretty good sized young adult group.... we who are in our early to mid twenties. the majority of us have grown up together since late elementary school/middle school.
none of us are married.
the sentence above is a very big deal to some people. i mean, i admit that compared to many churches, we are a Definite rarity. i'll agree with that.
*sigh* but many well meaning and slightly misguided married people annoy me. yes, i said it. they annoy me. in fact, they irritate me.
greatly.
~ they're the ones who hound you after you come home from a conference to find out if you met any one.
so like, wasn't i supposed to go to get great preaching and have fun with friends?
~ they are the ones who seem to always find a way to work marriage into conversations and extol on how wonderful my life would be, were i married.
it's very apparent to me that marriage is NOT ALWAYS a walk in the park.
~ they are the ones who love to remind me of the fact that i am not getting any younger.
um, gee. thanks. i think.
~ they are the ones who say, "You need to get married!"
ok, i'll park here because this one is almost laughable. so basically, you want me to pick any old Joe at a conference or in my church and say, "hey. MARRY ME!" seriously? ok, last time i checked, marriage is forever. since i would rather not be miserable for the rest of my life, wouldn't it only make sense to not throw myself at Random Joe since i won't be able to divorce him?!
and believe me folks, i'm not exactly being proposed to left and right! am i not supposed to wait on the Lord? what about Philippians 4:6 "be careful for nothing" which translates to: "be anxious for nothing" or "don't worry about anything"? the Bible tells me to wait and not worry.... why do these people who should know better say things as though they wish to provoke me to worry?

10 comments:
You're preaching the same message I preached 20 years ago!!! Of course after you get married then the "when are you having kids?" questions start. (I'm now 45, no kids, no plans for any, no regrets, but still get questioned occasionally.) I wonder how old I have to be before they start asking "when are you going to die???"
P.S. Got your hello from Crystal Mayes last night! Hope you can make it to Youth Alive in Burbank!!
I know Jen the hello was a little delayed. I always seemed to remember I was suppose to tell Sis McElhaney hi for ya when I was making my 45 min trek back home from church.
It was great meet ya!
Tell Rhonda you guys really should go to Youth Alive in CA. "wink wink"
AMEN AMEN AMEN AND AMEN!!!!!!!!
I was just telling my friend last night that I hate being defined by my relationship status. "Single" "In a Relationship"
Is it REALLY that important?
I understand well meaning married people (well actually I don't, but I try), trying to convince me that marriage is a bowl of chocolate covered cherries, but really, so is being single. I love it. And I hate that people can't accept that!!!!
Why do we, as Apostolics, think that life begins at marriage?
It may be an institution from God, but so is being single.
Girl yes! I c o m p l e t e l y agree! What is wrong with simply waiting on the Lord??
Some ppl ask, "Sooo are u dating anybody?" I reply, "No"..their response: "Whyyyy not?" I'm thinking, What do u mean WHY NOT? Like I go around looking for young men to start courting!!? Um, no! I am waiting to be found, not vice versa! HELLO!
"He that FINDETH a wife findeth a good thing"
He's supposed to be looking for me! In the meantime, I'll keep loving the LORD!
sis. kathy - i knew you would be in my amen corner! people are so rude to ask the "kids" question. i don't think they realize how personal that could be.
she's so sweet! and bekki has me definitely wanting to Youth Alive!
crystal - no problem! i was happy to finally meet you! i had seen your pic in a few places. i will talk to rhonda about it.
bekkster - you know what? that is exactly why i took "single" off of my facebook profile. i didn't know that you could hide that on there.
when i was on "everyone's apostolic", it would annoy me that i could not have that removed. but considering it was an apostolic site, i suppose that makes sense.
i read in a book where people would ask a girl (who was in her early thirties) if she believed she was "called to singleness". she would tell, "i am today!"
love that.
brittney - amen! i have no right to go around pursuing random guys to date. i totally believe in waiting and waiting....and waiting! lol!
I'm waiting on a man, I am...
But to live without one?! I sure can!
oh, Sam I am,
don't need a man, oh man
to hold my hand, lil hand
ok, i'll stop now.
In the middle of all this, WHAT do I have to say?!?! I totally LOVE guys and I totally want to get married but at the same time I am totally happy and enjoying life!!! WOW!!! I WISH you ALL had been at Heritage, you would understand what I mean when I say SCREAMING at THE TOP OF MY LUNGS!!! ;)
mary - if you were really giddy-ly (is that a word?) screaming at the top of your lungs about guys at heritage, i'm afraid that i would not have liked to have been there!!
Nooooooooo I ONLY scream at the top of my lungs INSIDE my head...LOL!!! It was awesome!!! Thats ALL i'm saying!!! =)
Post a Comment