Friday, September 11, 2020

neighborhood walking fiend

Shelter-in-place made me into a neighborhood walking fiend.


I was thankfully able to work remotely for a few months. This was great! But some things occurred:

~ I ate wayyy too much during that first week, just because

~ Being in the house with my parents drove me stir crazy

~ Hearing the latest news updates on the radio / on phones was just too much

So with that, I decided to go walking in the evenings. Apparently, my neighbors had the same idea, HA! There were so many people walking, jogging, running, biking, gardening, renovating or just sitting out on the porch. It was and still is fun to wave and smile to everyone. The crowd has tapered off now though.

I walked so much, I wore out my Puma's. They had never worked so hard in their young lives. I remember buying them in 2009 and they too became a victim of 2020. So I got some Adidas on clearance at TJ Maxx (once they reopened, lol).

creek near my house on 9/10/2020 - weather was in the 60's(!!) so it was a great walk
          

Walking has changed me. I make sure to wear my FitBit to track the number of steps and miles that I've gone. My clothing is a bit looser so I'm thrilled. But more importantly, it has given me mental clarity. 

While everything in the world is going haywire, the grass is still growing, flowers are still blooming and yes, even those mosquitoes were still biting :/. It was a great reminder that nature will still go on and do what it is supposed to. And I've taken to listening to podcasts while walking. So I'm learning while exercising. Mental and physical activity.

My next walk will be tomorrow and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Do you have a favorite podcast? Do share. :)

8 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

I ran for years without music, only added it when I started training for marathons. I really like the time outdoors for my own thoughts. I have never listen to a podcast! Does that make me strange or just old ;)

jennifer lord said...

Whereas previously, I ALWAYS walked while listening to music so the switch to podcasts is very different for me. Oddly, I did listen to music last night!

And you are neither old nor strange. :)

Jennifer Connell said...

I just love that you're blogging again! I enjoy your posts. And it's funny but, since quarantine, I've seen people walking in my neighborhood that I didn't even know existed! Or whole families out walking or bike riding nearby. I've also just started listening to podcasts this year, too! lol I listen to the Duolingo Spanish podcast, GABL, and I've subscribed to a few others I haven't listened to yet. What do you listen to?

jennifer lord said...

Aw, I think it's so cute to see families walking or biking together!

Wow, I had no idea that Duolingo had a podcast, thank you for that.

For me, my podcasts are an odd smorgasbord of true crime, dating/marriage, economics and entrepreneurship!

Jennifer Connell said...

I'm a little late but just saw your comment. Yes, Duolingo does have a podcast, and they also provide full transcripts on their website!

I'm also interested in true crime. Which true crime podcasts would you recommend?

jennifer lord said...

I just finished season 1 of Up and Vanished. Very interesting. The theme song creeps me out a bit though! Also, I love Court Junkie (not to be confused with Crime Junkie) since I have a thing for trials.

Jennifer Connell said...

Okay, I just saw this and will check out those podcasts! Court Junkie sounds super interesting to me! I'm scheduled for jury duty on the 28th of this month. lol

jennifer lord said...

AWWW I wish I could!!