Wednesday, August 7, 2013

the closer i get to you.... 30

good evening, friends :)

The lovely Ms. Kendra just did a great post about age and the stages of life so I was like "OKAY JEN, you might as well sit down and type these thoughts that have been buzzing in your brain for the past few weeks!!! Don't be scurred!"

Hmm, so let's see.... I'm not quite 30. Actually just turned 28. 30 looms near.... but it's not looming with dread for me anymore.

I think it's funny how both Kendra and I just recently graduated from college but we're on such different paths! I'm single and childless (well, Kendra is too...) and in an odd stage of my life. But it's not bad.

I think.... (and hope) I got all of my "pre-life crisis" out of my system probably when I hit my mid-twenties. Yes, I dubbed it my "pre-life crisis". See, it's good to plan ahead and all for events. But when you get obsessed about the plans for your life and they don't come to pass at the time you want it to, umm, can you say "meltdown"? It was baaaad. But you know what? I gained a ton of strength and confidence from that period of my life. Maybe too much, LOL. But that's another story for another time. :)

When you're single and childless and heading towards the 30's, it feels like the church doesn't really know what to do with you. Sometimes you're an "Adult" and sometimes a "Youth". Such an enigma. Honestly, that gets very frustrating.

So what to do? I am far from having all the answers but I pray for patience and contentment. Wonderful qualities, those two. I also pray that God molds me into whatever I need to be. I can't see the future but He can and He knows what's best for me. The sovereignty of God goes waaayyy past my human understanding. And ya know, He has a way of exceeding our hopes and dreams in ways we could never fathom.

30 looms near! I'm not going to tell you that 30 is the new 20. laaammeee. I will say though that I decided that I'm not going to get obsessed in the sense of feeling that it's a deadline that I have to meet, i.e. "I have to get married before I turn 30!". One impudent young person (okay, he's not all that bad. Just naive lol) told me a few years back that he, and I quote - "Don't wanna be old like you guys and single". Um, RUDE! That's why he's still single now! HA!! I kid, I kid. :)

Learn to trust in God's plans, whatever they are. 
Live life to the fullest, wherever you are. 
BLOOM where you are planted.

thoughts? leave a comment, please!

10 comments:

miss.rue said...

You're exactly right! These can either be the odd years or years we can say we used for the glory of God in preparation. Thank you for your words of wisdom!

jennifer lord said...

Hey I know you!!
Thank you :)

miss.rue said...

Yes, you do!! Lol! I'm still working on blogging again. You did better than I did.

Mary Frances said...

Actually, its funny cuz someone just said that to me the other day, WOW! It must be hard not getting married till your in your 30's, that really takes a special kind of person. Like, okaaaay??? Thought that was kinda FUNNNNY!!!

jennifer lord said...

What makes it "hard" is people's snide remarks! But eventually we gotta learn to brush those off!

miss.rue said...

Lol! Amen!

Anonymous said...

Lovin this post! LOve ur blog! it's so efreshing & unique :) Keep posting!

jennifer lord said...

Aw, thanks Chels! :)

Kendra Thaler said...

Jen, you said it best! Brendan and I were just talking about people who say, "God if I don't get married, I will still serve you.." For me its more like, "If I don't have children, I will serve you!" Great statement. But what about serving God with contentment, peace and without bitterness?? I appreciate how refreshing it is to hear you say that you are leaning on patience and contentment. I know its not easy some days (I have mine too) but all in all, prayer keeps me sane... You are to be admired friend :) Love you!!

jennifer lord said...

HA! Prayer keeps me sane also!! Love you!