Friday, November 22, 2013

"but it's GOOD for you!"

UGH.

If you gave me a dollar for every time I've had to hear the above phrase, I could probably pay off some bills and purchase a very nice handbag.

The utter-er of the phrase is always my mother and the context is always Food.

Broccoli.

Cauliflower.

Cabbage.

{note that these are all a part of the same vegetable food family. these types of veggies are gross, in my humble opinion.}

There are other things on this list but I think you get the idea.

Usually my response to- "But it's GOOD for you!" has always been, "SO?!" {in my head, of course}. But this year, in an effort to be somewhat health conscious, I'm eating the stuff that used to keep me as a little girl sitting at the dinner table for what felt like hours until I finished it. A prisoner to the dinner table. True Story.

Sure, I still find ways to avoid broccoli but I realized I didn't mind it so much in my chicken fried rice this week. I'm still not eating cauliflower though. Not yet.

Along with eating, I found my myself doing stuff I didn't want to do this year. Things like volunteering for activities that I had no interest volunteering for. Or attending events that I vehemently declared {in my mind, of course} that I wanted nothing to do with. I had good,solid reasons too!

But then I was reminded nudged prodded in several different ways to show me that:
A) It's not all about my feelings.
B) It's good for me to go against my will
C) I'll be helping others and I just might glean some good for myself out of it.

Guess what? All of the above were correct. Was it easy? NOOOO! Is it easy now? NOOOO! But wouldn't you know, it's good for me in so many ways to ignore the selfishness and embrace some selflessness.

Try it. It just might be good for you, too.

0 comments: