Wednesday, February 19, 2014

baking w/ jen: fortune cookies

WHY fortune cookies?
I'll tell you why.


The Sunday school book made me do it. :) Like three weeks ago, the book had a little article about the condition of churches in China. Then, it suggested to provide fortune cookies for snack with little scriptures inside. The recipe looked easy enough so I tried it out and the kids loved them! We had lunch on this past Sunday and it was requested that we have the cookies again for dessert.

The cast of characters .....too much Pioneer Woman? I didn't want to buy almond extract {not a fan} so I just put twice the amount of vanilla extract.

Whipping egg whites and sugar

Now everything's mixed up! And it does in fact look like pancake batter.

I put parchment paper on my cookie sheet and spooned 3 inch cookie circles onto it. Then stuck in the oven for 5-7 minutes.

Umm, during that 5-7 minutes, I hurried cut out some little encouraging slips of paper to put into each cookie. #procrastinator

boom.

I guess in my haste to start folding the cookies, I forgot to take a pic of them straight outta the oven. They're flat and lightly brown and HOT. And you want to start folding them while they're still pliable. Just don't burn your fingers! Fold in half then in another half then....

Stick 'em in a muffin pan so that they can hold their shape as they harden.

Finished product! Easy peasy.


Here's the recipe if you want to try it out!

6 comments:

Notions from Nonny said...

Very cool!! That would be fun to do with the kids!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Yum! I want to be in your class!

jennifer lord said...

Sis K. - So true! Good idea.

Sis Kathy - My parents want to join too.... lol

Jennifer Connell said...

I think I'll be there Sunday for your Sunday School class! lol!!

Me said...

looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

This is cute :)