Thursday, February 4, 2016

JAN 2016 - new year days on the bay_part 2

excuses, excuses... I have plenty for not updating sooner. And I said that I wouldn't give any excuses But But But we are having some wonderful revival services with the Sisler's. TRULY I can say that I am so excited about what God is doing in the city of Dallas like never before. And we're about to have some more consecutive services again starting tonight! Can't wait.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a good blogging app? Half the battle is having to get on the computer to blog (really, the "posting pictures" part is the reason that a computer is necessary for me with the sizing, etc). I really don't like Blogspot's app and I've glanced at BlogPress but since there's a fee, it would have to be pretty incredible for me to purchase. If you use something great, tell me in the comments. :)

----

Continuing where we left off.... I got to go have church with my TWIN! I've said this before and I'ma say it again: there is nothing like being many miles away from home and still feeling the same spirit that you feel at the home church. God is ever present and alive!

TWINNNNN!!!!!!
After church, I had a delicious cajun meal with the Connell family whom I love! Wonderful godly people with a great sense of humor.... makes for some goooooood fellowship!

And then away I went to drop off my rental and make my way over to the San Francisco side. That was a bit of an adventure. I had to gas the car up before returning it and was in a bit of a tizzy (typical) trying to find a gas station. Ended up getting some in a questionable area haha! Because in my mind, the stations nearest to the airport are going to be more expensive, right?! Right?!? Well, actually this time I was wrong. I grimaced as I drove past the cheaper gas stations later. Ah well. Another adventure to tell my grandchildren about, hahahaha.

Took the BART into the city and eventually got to my hotel. Yay! So Tired!

Next day was San Francisco day. I remember waking up and being excited to see some blue in the sky since there was rain in the forecast.

I have this thing for Victorian houses....  and since my hotel was a 10 minute walk from the famous "Painted Ladies", I had to go see and take a pic, of course.


Then I made my way into the city for a smoothie and my Victorian Homes Tour!

Observation- okay, so at this point of my travels, I'm by myself (but not really alone. God is with me and that inner dialogue in my brain, yeah that's always present!) walking amongst the people. When I'm solo traveling or really whenever I'm in an unfamiliar area, I consciously project that I know where I am going and what I am doing and I am walking fast and look focused when I could very well be kinda lost and confused! But I don't show that. I call it "walking like a New Yorker"... trying to live up to my heritage, ha. At one point, I was like, "Well, I can tell some of these people are locals but they aren't moving like it." And then I remembered that I'm in California! The east coast/west coast dynamic is so interesting (to me!).

So I got my smoothie and then met up at Union Square Park for the walking tour.




It was very interesting. The guide gave a ton of history on the city and how changes like the 1906 fire and new technology (goodbye horses, hello automobiles) affected how the city was built. Quite fascinating!

Also, the picture I took that morning were the "Famous Painted Ladies" but in reality, any Victorian
painted with three or more colors is considered a Painted Lady. Learned something new! Learned many things.... and saw so many pretty structures....







After this, I got a cup of Peet's and wandered around a bit, waiting for friends to arrive....


REUNITED with the mija's!! Christy and Melissa!!


Also so good to be with the Gayton's again! We were waiting in line to ride the cable car after eating at Scoma's.


Cable Car Selfie!! I was so excited.


Then we wandered around Chinatown that has the typical sights, sounds and smells of a Chinatown, haha! I love it though. 



We went to a cute little Italian place for coffee then The Stinking Rose, a restaurant that celebrates the greatness that is GARLIC. Annnnnnd headed back to the car. 



AND that's a wrap! After a 2 hour plane delay the next morning, I went home with so many  memories. I am grateful for the opportunity to go to the bay! Now, when's the next trip?!

3 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

I didn't know there was a name for it, but I walk like a New Yorker, too! I always want to appear confident and completely sure of where I'm going. Even when I have to stop and check my phone, then turn around 10 minutes later ;)

San Francisco is such a cool city and I love taking mass transit (even by myself!)

Kendra Thaler said...

I LOVE SF! It makes me feel nostalgia having grown up in the Central Valley. I have never done a walking tour there, I would would that! Loved the pictures :)

jennifer lord said...

In my head, it's walking like a New Yorker but I supposed us in other parts of the country can do the same, even while lost!! Haha!!

And yes ladies, I love SF too!